Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Why I Love Book Clubs

I joined a book club late in life (after age 50), and I regret I didn't join one sooner. I've reaped three very important benefits. First of all, my book club members were the first readers of my novel in a relatively raw form. Their honest critiques helped me to hone my plot and edit my writing (although I had to go outside my all-woman club for male input). Second, each club member gets to choose one book, fiction or nonfiction, that we read, which means that I am introduced to writers, ideas, styles and information that I might otherwise miss or avoid. It really broadens my intellectual and emotional horizon. Finally, the club brings solitary readers together in a group experience that, regardless of agreement or contention, deepens the impact of a book for each member. I'd love to get your ideas on making a book club more successful, or problems to avoid. I'd love to donate my book, Lies Agreed Upon, to your book club for discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment